1. Only owners of Rocha Brava properties can see most of the discussions so if you've already registered, log-in now, and if you're an RB owner, but haven't registered, why not?
  2. Please join fellow owners at the Virtual Owners Drinks. Full details can be found here. (If your name doesn't appear at the top right you will need to log-in first.)

Fishing Licence

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Simon B, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Simon B

Simon B Owner

I heard that in Portugal you need to have a fishing licence for both shore and boat fishing.
    As I fish often, I thought I should show willing rather than ignorance!
    Locals can get one from a cashpoint but non locals need to go in person to:

Deleg. de Barlavento DRAP Algarve
    At: Porto de Pesca de Portimão 8400-278 Parchal
    Tel: 282 490 630
    Fax: 282 490 631

It is open Mon-Fri and closed for lunch.

Go off the N125 towards Portimao before the bridge signposted Estombar/Ferragudo/Parchal.
    Follow the Parchal signs for a few miles before there is a roundabout with the port to your right. You go through past a security shed and the building you need is first on the left when you turn immediately left. You pay in cash and its 8 Euros for a year for a shore licence. You will need a shorter term licence to go on a boat trip. You need your passport and then keep a copy of it with the licence when you fish.

So far I have caught bream and assorted other fish below the small pool at RB and above Caneiros beach and am still trying for my first bass off Centiennes beach - but lovely spot to keep trying early in the morning when the sun comes up.

Hope helpful and tight lines!

2. cnljscott

cnljscott Owner

Hi Simon,

Thanks for this. I went today and purchased a licence for the year for €8 as you stated.

As a novice could you give me some advice on the best way to fish from the rocks below the small pool? I have purchased a small rod, reel, ledger rigs and some spinning lures from Decathlon and I'm not sure which will work best. Also, would you say I should just cut up some small fish as bait or buy bait from Decathlon?

Many thanks again

Cameron

3. Simon B

Simon B Owner

Hi Cameron
    The gear will be fine. Be prepared to lose tackle as it’s rocky at the bottom. Most of what I have caught has been pretty small really- the locals don’t mind as they go in the fish stew. I caught a big octopus last year! For bait best use worms, squid or mackerel. The fishing is supposed to be better down at Algar Seco. My aim is to get a good bass off Centienes beach where I go at dawn. They are fussy and need an incoming tide with a small swell and you cast just beyond the surf using a lure. The best tackle shop I have found is on the road opposite the Ping supermarket in Lago. I am plann8ng to go on a boat trip with them next year.
    I am at RB in late Feb so hope to have a fish then. Tight lines!

4. cnljscott

cnljscott Owner

Hi Simon,

Many thanks, Tight Lines!