1. Only owners of Rocha Brava properties can see most of the discussions so if you've already registered, log-in now, and if you're an RB owner, but haven't registered, why not?

Covering the ‘excess’ on your car hire

Discussion in 'Car hire' started by Lisa, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Lisa

Lisa Committee member

It’s very expensive to take out the excess cover offered by car hire companies. Instead, I take out a policy each year (Europe or Worldwide available) with insurance4carhire.com. There are other companies available but this is the one I use. Very good customer service when I’ve had to make a claim.

2. Peter Calver

Peter Calver Owner & Forum Administrator

Yes, we had no trouble getting our money (nearly €2000) when someone drove into the back of our hire car at the Health Centre roundabout in Lagoa.

(Not long afterwards we got stitched up by a hire company but I was too ashamed to make a claim - the so-called scratch was so insignificant that it wouldn't show up in a photograph.)

3. Ski_Sunday

Ski_Sunday Owner

After carefully reading the small print of various insurance companies I settled on https://www.carhireexcess.com/
    After booking with Interrent on a recent trip and being stiched up for supposed damage to the bonnet and being charged a few hundred euros and yet the photo of the damage showed the wing I made a claim against the insurance and carhireexcess paid up in full and promptly. I hadn't realised Interrent were part of Gold Car until I went to collect the car and I would never rent from either of them again. Incidentally Gold Car is part of Europcar...

4. Peter Calver

Peter Calver Owner & Forum Administrator

Thanks for the tip - I bought an Annual Europe policy yesterday for £41.99 and on reading the small print I discovered that the ultimate owner of the company is Zurich Insurance.

Something to note if you;re considering this policy is that the Annual policies renew automatically, though you can cancel (they say they will send a reminder 6 weeks before).